RECENT POSTS:

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Music Radio, WABC




The radio station of my childhood, WABC heard in the New York City Tri-state area is running their annual Rewound Show, playing the actual broadcasts, with the old commercials as well, of the heyday of that station and of AM radio. Like TV Land for radio this Memorial Day, all day, from 6am to 6pm EST. Hosted by Johnny Donovan.

For those of you who listened to the radio during the 60s and 70s, and who of us didn't?, you'll want to tune in. For those who are too young to have experienced it, you'll want to listen, as well.

Trust me.

This was when we lived in a culture much less vulgar than we have today. Take a look at the links and see how popular this Rewound show is and Mark Simone's Oldies show and you'll get an idea of how many folks loved that innocent time and how many, like me, yearn for a simpler time, a more elegant age, when men were men and... whoops got carried away there ;)

Do your soul a favor. Unplug that ipod from your head. Pull those white wires right out, turn it off and put it away. Then, invite some friends over or go visit them. If you live in the New York/New Jersey/Connecticut area turn on the radio, or click on the link. And laugh, and sing along, and like me, cry a little for the feelings of happiness shared and memories rekindled that this broadcast will heighten in your spirit and in those of us out here listening right along with you.

Happiness: We're all in it together.

Robert

Links:

Streaming link for WABC

Site dedicated to the station's heyday I'll be posting at their forum throughout the show. Look for posts by bobby r. That's me!

WABC RADIO Main page link

DJ and Host Mark Simone's own site

Enjoy

1 Comments:

Blogger Robbie in Tokyo said...

UPDATE:
Dan the man, let slip a profanity (or two) in his after show call-in on the Mark Simone Post Rewound show.
I was getting ready for work in the morning, and had to stop what I was doing when Dan called in to Mark's show. At exactly the moment I was balancing on one leg, putting the other through the opening of my trousers, Dan said the F word! In my shock my leg caught on the folds of fabric, and I fell onto my bed!

Hilarious!

I don't like profanities as a rule. Not in conversation, and definitely not on public media. It's so limiting. But, this was a very unusual event that occurred and Dan, obviously out of practice of being on the air, let his passion get the best of him. It's a little sad, because he'll be remembered more for this probably, than the years of not saying it.

How does the old saying go, "One screw up and you ruin a whole string of 'ey, atta boy's "

I hope WABC doesn't get fined.

--------------
"Ingram, who’s 71, told The Post, "In 40 years, I've never said that word before on the air. I was quoting myself when I was yelling at the guy who stole my name and realized, 'You really got into it, dummy.'

"It was a true slip of the tongue, and I apologize to anyone offended, and I'm especially sorry that it happened on Mark's watch because he's such a talented guy. I'd kick myself in the a- if I could – if I can say that word."

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home