RECENT POSTS:

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

James Doohan



James Doohan
played on Coast to Coast AM. (first couple of seconds missing)
If no player,  listen here.

James Doohan would have been 89 today. 

On Coast to Coast AM, George Noory played a clip of James to illustrate what a kind and gentle soul he was, and how something like a 'silly space show' was able to make a difference in someone's life. 

(This is from an interview done in 1997) 

Here is the transcript of that interview: 

I got a fan letter from a young lady. It was a suicide note. So I called her, and I said "Hey, this is Jimmy Doohan. Scotty, of Star Trek. I'm doing a convention in Indianapolis. I want to see you there." I saw her, boy I'm telling you, I couldn't believe what I saw. It was definitely suicide. Somebody had to help her, somehow. And obviously, she wasn't going to the right people. Anyhow, I said to her, "I'm doing a convention two weeks from now, in St. Louis. And two weeks after...she also came to New York. She was obviously able to afford to come to these places. And this went on for two or three years. Maybe eighteen times. And all I did was talk positive things to her. And then all of a sudden, nothing. I didn't hear anything. I had no idea what was happening, because I never really saved her address. Eight years later, I get a letter saying, "I do want to thank you so much for what you did for me. Because I just got my Master's Degree in Electronic Engineering." You know, to me, that's the best thing I've ever done in my life. And it brings tears to my eyes every time I even talk about the story."

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home