RECENT POSTS:

Sunday, May 09, 2010

Abandoned: Fuchu Air Station





Fuchu Air Station present day...

Warning: Be advised. If you risk trespassing into the FAS perimeter (punishable by deportation for foreign nationals and prison sentences for natives), do not, I repeat, DO NOT climb this tower. It is not dormant. It is a functioning - operational 24/7 - microwave emitting antenna. You will suffer internal burns and quite possibly death. 
















... and how it looked back then.












(Fifth Air Force 1957 Official USAF Photo)















(Photo credit Jerry Bailey 1958)



Click on photos for larger image.


Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous S-maruta@usa.net said...

Fabulous, I love the stuff on the abandoned airbase. Also greta Honda Cub, I used to have one when I was living in Tokyo with optional helmet cases hiding the rear wheel.

1:23 AM  
Blogger Robbie in Tokyo said...

Thanks. Yeah, it's a great place, mysterious and full of history. I only recently investigated it, after seeing the tall antenna almost every day but not realizing it was inside a mil base. I had assumed it was inside the JASDF base nearby.

Thanks for the nice words on the cub. Yeah, she's a beauty. Right, you probably had a Cubra, yes? They offered the rear wheel case covers on some models. I see them sometimes. There's a few pics of those on this blog somewhere.

7:01 AM  
Blogger McClains said...

Hi Robbie...thanks for the posting. I was stationed on Fuchu from 1970-72 and worked the 1956 Communications Group - Fuchu Airways. Our radio control center was on the second floor right behind the 5th AF HQ Bldg featured in the 1958 photo. My barracks is no longer there...if you look at aerial photos of FAS from that period, my barracks was directly next to the thick 'water tower'. Not many photos available, so always appreciate postings like yours.

12:06 PM  
Anonymous John said...

I climbed that tower back in 1983. I was working in the Tech Control Facility one evening and I guess I didn't have anything else to do.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home